Friday, August 13, 2010

It's Friday

It's Friday, actually it's nearly midnight, so by the time I post this, it'll be Saturday.


Freshman Friday: Horror of High School
Today was "Freshmen Friday", the day every high school freshman fears most. Okay, so technically, the worst is yet to come when the official FF rolls around next Friday at the welcome back rally, but there was a nice little slice of freshman terrorizing today. First, at a bus stop this morning, some upperclassmen used some zip ties to keep the freshmen under control. Basically, they tied them up. And there were a few water-balloons thrown. One of said water balloons landed quite near to my foot, and let me tell you, it was not water in it. It was some sort of yellowish liquid. But since the splash did hit my face, I'm praying that it was just apple juice.


Friday Report
This week has been incredible. The high school is so foreign and so different than the tiny school I got used to last year. I was thrust from a school with less than 300 students in the entire school, K-8 into a school with a few THOUSAND students. Just getting to class, I feel like a salmon swimming upstream in the river of upperclassmen.
I have also developed a healthy respect for aforementioned upperclassmen, not just because they could throw me in a dumpster at any second, but because they deserve that respect. They're all so much more knowledgeable than me about everything from Calculus to relationships. And even though I'm taller than a few of the seniors I have spoken to, I look up to them in hopes that I'll amaze freshmen someday as much as they do me.



For now, I'm thinking it's bedtime for me. It's not even that late (ten till midnight), but I'm exhausted after waking up at 5 AM this morning. Goodnight y'all, I hope your first week of school has/was/will be as smooth and awe inspiring as mine (standing next to a buff football playing senior is an experience that will make you feel small and feminine as well as be a surreal experience that nothing compares to.)

Always,
Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment