Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Classes and clubs

As anyone who has gone through high school will tell you, what classes you take really affect your highschool expirence. For example, if you take AP Philosophy, you're bound to have a lot of very personal homework that includes reflecting nightly. Ditto with clubs. If you join Chess club, there's a 90% chance that you'll be labled as a nerd. What sports you join also dictate your high- school career, for exmaple, cheerleaders tend to be peppy and fit with little time to excell in academics. Basically, what you do decided how you'll do.
In March, we were required to sign up for our classes and reveiw the list of clubs so we could consider what we'd like to join. To allow you all to fully understand my highschool strategies, you'll have to know my plans for activities in freshman year. Please, no criticizing my choices. They are my choices and my opinions were used to make them and while I appreciate your opinion, this is one instance where I'd like to be confident in what I'm doing. Here it goes:

Classes:
  • French 1 as my first elective. I have always admired the french language for it's beauty and while I have taught myself as best I can, I still aspire to be fluent.
  • AVID is my second elective. For those of you who don't know, AVID stands for Achievement Via Individual Determination. AVID is primarily a college prep class that has a focus on organization. AVID is for good students who aspire to be great and are willing to work hard to achieve their goals.
  • Advanced English is my English class. I have always excelled at English and am placed in the highest English class available to Freshmen at my school.
  • I will be retaking Algebra 1 because I got nervous during the county test and bombed it. I knew that the test dictated my entire next year, combined with throwing up that morning because I was so terrified, and the unfamiliarity of the strange classroom I had never entered before-- I just couldn't think as straight as I needed to.
  • 1 semester Health/1 semester Computer Technology. Both are required at that level.
  • Science. It's actually a specific branch of science, but I'm not sure of which one.

Clubs

  • French club. It corresponds with my French class and hopefully will offer help from more expirenced French speakers.
  • Speech/Debate. I love public speaking. I admit that I'm a bit addicted to having people listen to me as I present my argument and being able to convince people to see my way. I can be convicing when I want to be and am known for capturing my audience (don't let my Oral Interp. presentation fool you, I just didn't care).I've never understood how people could fear public speaking, the power I feel when I'm standing behind the podium is great!

Sports

  • None. I couldn't play a sport to save my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment